Practical course: Development of interactive devices to capture media
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Albrecht Schmidt
- Contact: email@example.com
- Credit hours: 4
- ECTS-Credits: 6
- Modul: Master P5.0.2 or P5.0.4: Practical course in groups on advanced topics in Informatics I or Informatics II
After consultation with the examination board: recognition for P2, P3 or P6 (advanced topics for master students) possible
- Language: German
Please refer to the german webpage for up-to-date information and tasks.
Date and Location
- Friday, 2pm - 4pm, additional classroom events on Friday as agreed upon and UBIACTION exhibition date (End of June)..
- First classroom even expected Friday , Apr 26th at 2pm;
- Location: Room 257, Frauenlobstr. 7a
In this practical course, we explore functional prototyping of novel device interfaces. The learning objective is to develop a systematic understanding for digital systems that capture information and to develop and validate new interface concepts. The goal is to invent new methods to capture information and to implement and evaluate these on an experimental level. The design of novel "multi-component tangible interfaces" is the key aspect of this course.
We will look at one major application areas that involve capturing Information: A bedside device. We will experiment with the properties and functions that are necessary to operate these devices and systematically look at the technical differences to gather and analyse the data. Using a rasperry pi as foundation, we will create experimental prototypes of novel interfaces for these device.
- Operating concepts of bedside devices like alarm clock
- Assembly and implementation of a bedside device using a raspberry pi
- Form factors and functionality of bedside devices
- Interaction techniques and operating concepts for bedside devices
- Assisted and automated operating functions of bedside devices
- Concept and prototypical realization of a bedside devices with novel functionality (hardware, software, operating concept and design)
- Presentation of the results at the UBIACTION exhibition
Central registration process via the UniWorX course. (As of Feb, 13th 2019, 12pm; Until Mar, 25th 2019 8am)
Please justify your eligibility for this course (see prerequisites) using the text box during the UniWorX registration process. During the assignment, we will take prerequisites into account. Please be aware of the penalty and successor regulation for courses that use the central registration process.
- Programming skills in Python
- Knowledge of hardware components (raspberry pi, arduinon ESP3286)
- Basic knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Course media systems (German: Mediensysteme)
- Prior attendance of the course "Sketching with hardware" is desirable
- Course of study: Media informatics, Human-Computer-Interaction
Criteria for the practical course certificate
- Attendance at every classroom event
- Presentation of results in the course and on the exhibition date
- Flyer that describes your own topic (postcard) and a text for a tweet (120 characters)
- Report describing your system and the design process (approx. 8 pages, one-column format)
- Alternative: publish your work as open-source project
- Submission of source code, code review and design review