Practical course: Development of devices for intimate communication
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Albrecht Schmidt
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Credit hours: 4
- ECTS-Credits: 6
- Modul: Master P5.0.2 or P5.0.4: Practical course in groups on advanced topics in Informatics I or Informatics II
After consultation with the examination board: recognition for P2, P3 or P6 (advanced topics for master students) possible
- Language: German
Please refer to the german webpage for up-to-date information and tasks.
Date and Location
- Friday, 2pm - 4pm, additional classroom events on Friday as agreed upon and UBIACTION exhibition date
- First classroom even expected Friday , Oct 18th at 2pm;
- Location: Room 257, Frauenlobstr. 7a
In this practical course, we explore functional prototyping of novel device interfaces. The learning objective is to develop a systematic understanding for digital systems that capture information and to develop and validate new interface concepts. The goal is to invent new methods to capture information and to implement and evaluate these on an experimental level. The design of novel "multi-component tangible interfaces" is the key aspect of this course.
We will look at one major application areas that involve capturing Information: A device for intimate communication. We will experiment with the properties and functions that are necessary to operate these devices. Technically we will include a variety of sensors and actuators. Potential form factors are bracelets, watches, glasses, jewelry, shoe inlays, devices to wear, devices to carry in pockets, objects in the home or similar.
- Operating concepts of devices for intimate communication like alarm clock
- Assembly and implementation of a device for intimate communication using a raspberry pi
- Form factors and functionality of devices for intimate communication
- Interaction techniques and operating concepts for devices for intimate communication
- Assisted and automated operating functions of devices for intimate communication
- Concept and prototypical realization of a device for intimate communication with novel functionality (hardware, software, operating concept and design)
- Presentation of the results at the UBIACTION exhibition
Central registration process via the Uni2Work course.
Please justify your eligibility for this course (see prerequisites) using the text box during the UniWorX registration process. During the assignment, we will take prerequisites into account. Please be aware of the penalty and successor regulation for courses that use the central registration process.
- Programming skills in Python
- Knowledge of hardware components (raspberry pi, arduinon ESP3286)
- Basic knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Course media systems (German: Mediensysteme)
- Prior attendance of the course "Sketching with hardware" is desirable
- Course of study: Media informatics, Human-Computer-Interaction
Criteria for the practical course certificate
- Attendance at every classroom event
- Presentation of results in the course and on the exhibition date
- Flyer that describes your own topic (postcard) and a text for a tweet (120 characters)
- Report describing your system and the design process (approx. 8 pages, one-column format)
- Alternative: publish your work as open-source project
- Submission of source code, code review and design review