Practical course: Development of interactive devices to capture media
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Albrecht Schmidt
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Credit hours: 4
- ECTS-Credits: 6
- Modul: Master P5.0.2 or P5.0.4: Practical course in groups on advanced topics in Informatics I or Informatics II
After consultation with the examination board: recognition for P2, P3 or P6 (advanced topics for master students) possible
- Language: German
Please refer to the german webpage for up-to-date information and tasks.
Date and Location
- Friday, 2pm - 4pm, first date Thursday, Apr 19th at 2pm; additional classroom events on Friday after announcement and UBIACTION exhibition date (End of June).
- Location: Room 450, Frauenlobstr. 7a
In this practical course, we explore functional prototyping of novel device interfaces. The learning objective is to develop a systematic understanding for digital systems that capture media and to develop and validate new interface concepts. The goal is to invent new methods to capture media and to implement and evaluate these on an experimental level. The design of novel "multi-component tangible interfaces" is the key aspect of this course.
We will look at two major application areas that involve capturing media: Cameras and music players. We will experiment with the properties and functions that are necessary to operate these devices and systematically look at the technical differences between the analog and digital types of photography and audio playback. Using a rasperry pi as foundation, we will create experimental prototypes of novel interfaces for these devices.
- Operating concepts of analog media devices
- Assembly and implementation of a media system using a raspberry pi
- Form factors and functionality of media devices
- Interaction techniques and operating concepts for media devices
- Assisted and automated operating functions of media devices
- Concept and prototypical realization of a media device with novel functionality (hardware, software, operating concept and design)
- Presentation of the results at the UBIACTION exhibition
Central registration process via the UniWorX course. (As of Feb, 15th 2018, 12pm)
Please justify your eligibility for this course (see prerequisites) using the text box during the UniWorX registration process. During the assignment, we will take prerequisites into account.
- Programming skills in Python
- Knowledge of hardware components (raspberry pi, arduino)
- Basic knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Course media systems (German: Mediensysteme)
- Prior attendance of the course "Sketching with hardware" is desirable
- Course of study: Media informatics, Human-Computer-Interaction
Criteria for the practical course certificate
- Attendance at every classroom event
- Presentation of results in the course and on the exhibition date
- Flyer that describes your own topic (postcard) and a text for a tweet (120 characters)
- Report describing your system and the design process (approx. 8 pages, one-column format)
- Submission of source code, code review and design review