Practical course: Development of interactive devices to capture media
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Albrecht Schmidt
- Contact: email@example.com
- Credit hours: 4
- ECTS-Credits: 6
- Modul: Master P5.0.2 or P5.0.4: Practical course in groups on advanced topics in Informatics I or Informatics II
After consultation with the examination board: recognition for P2, P3 or P6 (advanced topics for master students) possible
Important: Latest course information can be found on Ubicomp.net.
Date and Location
- Thursday, 2pm - 4pm, first date 02.11.2017; additional classroom events and exhibition date at the end of term.
- Frauenlobstr. 7a, 80337 Munich, 4th floor, Room 450
In the last 15 years, digital cameras have almost replaced their analog counterparts entirely. The functionality of digital camera is realized using hardware and software. Hence, digital cameras have a lot more degrees of freedom when it comes to functional and structural design.
In this pratical course, we will experiment with the properties and functions that are necessary to capture images. We will systematically look at the technical differences between analog and digital photography. Using a rasperry pi and a camera sensor, we will create an experimental digital camera. The goal is to invent new methods to capture media and to implement and evaluate these on an experimental level.
The learning objective is to develop a systematic understanding for digital system that capture media and to develop and validate new concepts for digital cameras.
- Operating concepts of analog cameras
- Assembly and implementation of a camera system using a raspberry pi
- Form factors and functionality of digital cameras
- Interaction techniques and operating concepts for digital cameras
- Assisted and automated operating functions of digital cameras
- Concept and prototypical realization of a digital camera with novel functionality (hardware, software, operating concept and design)
- Presentation of the results at the exhibition
Application via Mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Programming skills in Python
- Knowledge of hardware components (raspberry pi, arduino)
- Basic knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Course media systems (German: Mediensysteme)
- Prior attendance of the course "Sketching with hardware" is desirable
Criteria for the practical course certificate
- Attendance at every classroom event
- Presentation of results in the course and on the exhibition date
- Flyer that describes your own topic (postcard) and a text for a tweet (120 characters)
- Report describing your system and the design process (approx. 4 pages, two-column format)
- Submission of source code, code review and design review